Monday, February 25, 2008

Set your sights on healthy eating!

This is the military's health slogan. Sure, it sounds good, but it is extremely hypocritical. It's extremely hard to eat healthy when I'm working. When I go on contracts over the summer, usually around 4 months, I gain weight. The most I've gained is 10 pounds. In four months, that's just not healthy. And I know it's the fault of my eating over the summer because when I come home and start eating normally, I lose it all.

Try setting your sights on healthy eating when you walk into the mess hall to find:
-the ever present dessert counter
-the ever present smell of deep fryer
-the menu containing items such as hot dogs and pub baskets
-the huge portions that get shovelled onto your plate (This is the worst. Sometimes (a lot) when there's not much there I want to eat, I usually just ask for the rice and head to the salad bar. But when you ask for rice, they seem to think you want your plate covered in it)

My unit in the city is terrible for the bad eating. Normally at our stand easy at 9:00pm we have soup but they sometimes like to cook other things:
-pizza
-hot dogs
-fries
-fried chicken
-taters

9:00 at night too! What are they thinking????

Being on ship is always hard. They have exercise equipment, but when you're not working, you're usually sleeping, because work is very exhausting on ship. They serve much of the same crap, the huge portions and the endless desserts. But it's worse because you're on a little ship with no time to use the exercise equipment. You can just go for a walk because it takes about 10 seconds to get from one end of the ship to the other!

[/end navy rant]

No comments: